Our rAiz’n the Sun Training Program began in 1999 and offers unique artistic development opportunities to participants. The program has been a solid springboard and a continuing nurturing environment for the careers of a many succeeding young artists. Scores of young and emerging artists have participated in the program so far; many more may lay claim to having benefited from our work.
rAiz’n the Sun continues to run the only professional streaming of Arts Career and Community Development in Toronto which is specifically geared for young and emerging artists seeking training stemming from the Black diasporic lens. The programs offer all participants (from any background) opportunities to learn and hone artistic skills through exploring in workshops, creation of new collective and individual performance material, internships or apprenticeships, learning from mentors, participating in volunteer activities with b current as well as other small and large scale professional companies, attending shows and special events, and working on projects in community or educational settings. Classes and workshops are facilitated by seasoned and peer working artists, who also serve as mentors.
The rAiz’n the Sun Training Program has 5 components:
- The mandiela rAiz’n Ensemble engages a select group of career-focused, emerging artist members; during each 3-year cycle, Ensemble members through facilitated and self-directed development activities and workshops Ensemble culminating in a graduating production.
- rCurrentz which focuses on training new and community artists or arts workers whose main area is not performance/theatre work.
- rAiz’n Summer aRts is an entry level intensive program especially for youth aged 14-19
- rAiz’n Connexions main focus is youth in underserved city neighbourhoods, and works in collaboration with community groups and organizations to involve participation with artistic programming on a regular basis.
- rAiz’n Futures is ideas and activities designed to increase the presence of Artists of Colour working and playing in school settings!